This statement discloses the privacy practices for the ArtsQuest (AQ).
AQ Overall Privacy Statement
Your privacy on the Internet is of the utmost importance to us. Because we gather certain types of information about the users of AQ's sites, we feel you should fully understand the terms and conditions surrounding the capture and use of that information. This privacy statement discloses what information we gather, how we use it, and how to correct or change it.
These guidelines have been developed with the recognition that Internet technologies are rapidly evolving, and that underlying business models are still not established. Accordingly, guidelines are subject to change. Any such changes will be posted on this page. AQ is not responsible for the content or the privacy policies of Web sites to which it may link.
1. Information AQ Gathers and Tracks
AQ gathers three types of information about users: data that users provide through optional, voluntary registrations on our site and in certain contests; data that is voluntarily transmitted to AQ through the utilization of any optional web forms; and data AQ gathers through aggregating tracking information derived mainly by tallying page views throughout our sites. Such information enables us to better tailor our content to readers' needs and help our sponsors better understand the demographics of our audience. The only situation in which AQ divulges information about an individual user to a third party is with certain contests.
AQ gathers user information in the following processes:
- Polling: AQ sometimes offers interactive polls to users so they can easily share their opinions with other users and see what the AQ audience thinks about important issues. AQ uses a system to "tag" users after they have voted, so they can vote only once on a particular question. This tag is not correlated with information about individual users.
- Electronic Newsletters (Dispatches): AQ offers a free electronic newsletter to users. AQ gathers the email addresses of users who voluntarily subscribe. Users may remove themselves from this mailing list through the subscription management pages. AQ delivers newsletters via email to only registered recipients from our subscription center.
- IP Addresses: AQ also logs IP addresses, or the location of your computer on the Internet, for systems administration and troubleshooting purposes. We do not use IP address logs to track your session or your behavior on our site. While aggregate counts of click through behavior are provided to sponsors, a sponsor will never know that a specific user clicked their web banner. AQ will not provide specific user information to any third party company.
- Surveys: Occasionally AQ conducts user surveys to better target our content to our audience. We sometimes share the aggregated demographic information in these surveys with our advertisers and partners.
- Contests: AQ offers contests in which we request certain personal information. At a minimum, the required information includes name and email address; in some cases, the user must answer survey questions about a range of other personal data. The information gathered in the entry form is primarily used to verify the entrant's identity and to contact winners and/or prize recipients. AQ may occasionally use this information to send electronic communications to the user; any electronic communications will include an 'opt-out' option. AQ may also provide the user with the choice to receive additional information from the contest sponsor, in which case the user's personally identifiable information is divulged to the advertiser. Additionally, AQ may rent, sell or share information gathered with non-Affliated companies in order to provide services, products or benefits that you have requested, or as a response to subpoenas, court orders or other legal processes. Please note that AQ may not provide you with any notice prior to said disclosure.
- Because the rules and terms of each contest can vary, all information about each contest is clearly posted during the event. All contests are conducted in full accordance with United States federal and state laws.
- Usage Tracking: AQ tracks user traffic patterns.
2. Use of the Information
AQ uses any information voluntarily given by our users to enhance their experience in our network of sites, whether to provide interactive or personalized elements on the sites or to better prepare future content based on the interests of our users.
- As stated above, AQ uses information that users voluntarily provide in order to send out electronic newsletters and to enable users to participate in polls and contests. We send out newsletters to subscribers with periodic updates.
- When we use tracking information to determine which areas of our sites users like and don't like based on traffic to those areas. AQ does not track what individual users read, but rather how well each page performs overall. This helps us continue to build a better service for you.
3. Sharing of the Information
AQ uses the above-described information to tailor our content to suit your needs and help our sponsors better understand our audience's demographics. AQ does not control the practices of our advertisers. If you have questions about how one of our advertisers uses information about you when you click their ad and go to their content, please contact them directly. (AQ will divulge information only as necessary to comply with state and federal laws.)
4. Opt-out Policy
AQ gives users options wherever necessary and practical. Such choices include:
- Opting not to provide certain personal information when registering for a site or when participating in some contests (see above)
- Opting not to participate in certain interactive areas, which completely alleviates the need to gather any personally identifiable information from our users
5. Delete/Deactivate Policy
Users may unsubscribe to any of our electronic newsletters at any time by following the instructions contained at the end of every newsletter.